Bistro Beef Stew Recipe
Hearty, filling, and packed with veggies, this beef stew is perfect for dinner tonight.
- 2 pounds boneless beef bottom round roast or boneless beef chuck shoulder roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14 to 14 ½ ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces assorted small whole mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake and button)
- 2 cups packaged baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine flour and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture; reserve any remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown ½ of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add onions, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in broth and reserved flour mixture. Return beef and juices to stockpot. Stir in mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add carrots to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and carrots are fork-tender. Stir in peas; simmer 5 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Total Recipe Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Recipe Courtesy of National Cattlemen’s Beef Association