Blackened Trout Recipe
A North Carolina staple, blackened trout, gets a flavorful treatment in this recipe, with cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano and other spices.
- 4 North Carolina rainbow trout fillets
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat large, heavy skillet until very hot.
- Combine paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, thyme and oregano in a small bowl.
- Dip fillets in melted butter, then in seasoning mixture. Place in hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until blackened.
Recipe Courtesy of North Carolina State University and North Carolina A&T State University Cooperative Extension