Blueberry and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
Fresh blueberries, grape tomatoes, blue cheese and bacon rest atop fresh baby spinach in this healthy spring salad.
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Sherry wine
- 4 ounces (½ cup) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces (about 5 quarts) baby spinach
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) blue cheese crumbles
- 2 ounces (about ¼ cup) bacon bits
- Chicken, beef, shrimp or scallops (6 ounces for each serving, well-seasoned and grilled)
- In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté bacon until crisp, about 7 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add sugar; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Deglaze pan with sherry.
- Add vinegar and 6 ounces water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and chicken broth; add to simmering liquid, stirring rapidly; continue cooking until dressing is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Use immediately or chill and reheat as needed. (Yield: about 12 ounces)
- When you’re ready to serve, in a large bowl, toss spinach with 8 ounces of the hot dressing.
- On each of four large plates, divide dressed spinach. Sprinkle each serving with ½ cup blueberries, ¼ cup tomatoes, ¼ cup cheese crumbles and 1 tablespoon bacon bits.
- Place hot protein on the salad or on the side. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Recipe Courtesy of N.C. Blueberry Council