Blueberry Breakfast Bonanza Recipe
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread, cubed, about 6 cups
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen blueberries, reserve 1 cup (or 3 cups fresh)
- 12 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- additional maple syrup for serving, optional
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; place bread cubes inside. Sprinkle blueberries on top.
- In a large bowl beat Neufchatel cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, brown sugar, milk and maple syrup; continue beating until smooth. Add eggs, cinnamon and vanilla; continue beating until mixture is blended.
- Pour over bread and berries. Cover with foil and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350ºF oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until there are no signs of visible liquid egg or about 20-25 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle remaining blueberries on top and serve with additional maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yields 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of N.C. Egg Association