Classic Egg Nog Recipe
Feel the holiday spirit with a cup of homemade classic egg nog.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 quart milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Garnishes or stir-ins (optional)
- In large saucepan, beat together eggs, sugar and salt, if desired. Stir in 2 cups of the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and reaches at least 160 degrees, which takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, pour into bowl or pitcher. Garnish or add stir-ins, if desired. Serve immediately.
*For faster preparation, heat milk until very warm before stirring it into eggs and sugar.
Garnishes or Stir-Ins
Choose one or several:
- chocolate curls
- maraschino cherries
- cinnamon sticks
- orange slices
- extracts or flavorings
- peppermint sticks or candy cane
- flavored brandy or liqueur, plain brandy, rum or whiskey
- fruit juice or nectar
- sherbet or ice cream
- ground nutmeg
- whipping cream.
Recipe Courtesy of N.C. Egg Association