Crock Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
- 1 16-ounce package dried black-eyed peas (soak overnight)
- 10 to 12 cups water, divided
- ½ pound ham hock
- 1 large onion, whole
- salt, to taste
- Wash peas and place in a crock pot.
- Cover with water 2 inches above peas (about 5 to 6 cups); let soak overnight.
- Drain peas; cover with remaining water.
- Wash ham hock. Add ham hock and whole onion to peas & stir gently. Turn crock pot on high and cook peas for 2-3 hours with lid placed on top to allow for steam release.
- Remove onion and ham hock. Cut meat off hock, discard any fat, dice meat and add to peas. Add salt to taste.
Recipe Courtesy of North Carolina Pork Council