Farmer’s Market Vegetable, Beef & Brown Rice Salad Recipe
Make this healthy, flavorful recipe with fresh vegetables and beef from your local farmer’s market.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Beef & Veggies
- 1 beef top round steak, cut ¾-inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups asparagus pieces (2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch thick slices
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and ¼ cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight. Reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator for dressing.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 13 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning once. Remove; keep warm.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add asparagus and squash; cook and stir 7 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Toss with rice, tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and reserved marinade in large bowl. Carve steak into thin slices. Serve over rice salad.
The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by John Wiley & Sons