Holiday Treats: Recipes for Cranberry Salad, Orange Cake and Apricot Ham
Christmas Cranberry Salad
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pkg. (small) miniature
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- (may use 1-8 oz. Cool Whip)
- Pick, wash and finely chop cranberries. Add sugar, marshmallows and mix. Refrigerate overnight. Add apple & nuts to cranberry mixture, stir. Fold in whipped cream (or Cool Whip). Refrigerate.
- Serve as buffet salad or plate individually.
Orange Slice Cake
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda, dissolved in
- 3½ cups plain flour
- 1 lb. box dates, cut fine
- 1 can angel flake coconut
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 10 oz. jar maraschino cherries,
- cut in half
- 1 lb. orange slice candy, cut fine
- Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Roll nuts, candy, dates, coconut and cherries in ½ cup of flour. Add alternately with milk. Bake at 250 degrees for three hours.
- Mix 1 cup of orange juice and 2 cups powdered sugar. Pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let set in pan until cold.
- 5 pound fully cooked whole boneless ham
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2⁄3 cup apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place ham on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree F. oven for 11/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F. (about 15-18 minutes per pound.)
- For the glaze, in a small saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in apricot nectar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Brush ham with glaze. Continue baking 15-20 minutes more, brushing occasionally with glaze.