Elise Johnson’s Fall Recipes for Butternut Soup, Apple Cakes and More
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- ½ pound applewood bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (pressed between fingers to release the oil)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash/apple is a 3/1 ratio)
- 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg, cinnamon, mace and ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Set a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrot and sauté for 5 minutes, taking care to turn down the heat if the vegetables begin to brown. Add garlic and cook for one minute more. Add squash, apple, broth, water and spices.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until squash and carrots have softened. Puree. Add salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with crispy bacon and seasoned croutons.
- For a vegetarian version, omit bacon. Sauté vegetables in two tablespoons of butter. Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth. Serves 8.
Next recipe: Cut-Out Cookies
← Previous Story Beef ‘California Roll’ Salad Recipe
Next Story → Autumn Vegetables and Pork Chops Recipe