Elise Johnson’s Fall Recipes for Butternut Soup, Apple Cakes and More
Cookies in a special bag or container make a wonderful parting gift to send home with your guests.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking
- About 5 cups all-purpose sifted flour
- Raw sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream first five ingredients well.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add your flour mixture slowly until the dough forms.
- Pour onto a clean surface and knead a bit, adding a little extra flour if needed, and then roll out to 1/4 –inch thickness. Chill if necessary.
- Cut out shapes as desired. I used my fall oak leaf and maple leaf cookie cutters! I always use the tip of a knife to make vein marks in each leaf.
- Place on a baking stone or sheet and sprinkle a little raw sugar over top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown.
Tip: I always take cookies out early, because they will continue to harden as they cool!
Next recipe: Apple Cakes With Butter Icing