Recipe of the Month: Mahogany Broiled Chicken
Mahogany Broiled Chicken
With smoky lime sweet potatoes and cilantro chimichurri
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in 1-inch cubes.
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons bottled hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup plus 1- ½ teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped, canned chipotle pepper
- 1-teaspoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotle)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- Cilantro sprigs
- Mix together chopped cilantro, olive oil, minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, mustard, hoisin sauce and vinegar. Reserve 2/3 of this mixture.To remainder add ½ cup limejuice and stir in chicken. Cover and refrigerate.
- In heavy saucepan place sweet potatoes and cover with boiling water. Cook, covered, over medium high heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup cooking liquid and drain. Return potatoes to reserved cooking water and add butter, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice, cumin, lime zest, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mash potatoes.
- Thread chicken on 8 skewers. Broil in oven (six inches from heat) basting with reserved mahogany sauce until done–about eight minutes.
Author: Camilla Saulsbury, Bloomington, IN (National Chicken Cooking Contest Winner)