Recipe of the Month: Vegetable Beef Kabobs for the Grill
Kabobs for the Grill
- 1 ½ pounds of N.C. sirloin beef
- red peppers
- green peppers
- peeled garlic cloves
- Start with fresh produce from one of North Carolina’s farmers markets. Start with zucchini, firm tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, onions, red or green peppers, peeled garlic cloves and mushrooms. Wash, drain and cut in ½ inch slices.
- Combine enough balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil to cover veggies in shallow container. Cover and marinate 1 to 3 hours in refrigerator.
- Discard marinade, skewer veggies on kabob sticks and place on hot coals or propane gas grill. Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Cut 1- ½ pounds of N.C. sirloin beef into ½ inch cubes. Skewer on kabob sticks and sprinkle evenly with garlic power, rosemary or thyme, dash of salt, fresh black pepper or lemon pepper to taste.
- Grill about 15 minutes until desired doneness, turning frequently. Add some whole grain brown rice or crusty French bread and your favorite North Carolina red wine for a complete meal.
Author: Freda Butner, nutritionist, North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services