Recipe of the Month: Black-Eyed Pea Gumbo
Black-Eyed Pea Gumbo
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-cup brown rice
- 4 (15 oz) cans black-eyed peas w/ liquid
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, pepper and celery until tender.
- Pour in chicken broth and mix in rice, black-eyed peas with liquid, diced tomatoes and green chilies, diced tomatoes and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Add water if soup is too thick.
Author: Recipe courtesy of All Recipes www.allrecipes.com