Recipe of the Month: Cherry Pie
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Crisco
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1 egg in glass measuring cup, fill with water and egg to 3/4 cup
- 1 cup sugar, minus 1 Tablespoon
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans of Tart Cherries
- 1 Pie Crust
- First, prepare the crust: In large bowl, stir with fork, the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the Crisco, until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat together water, egg, vinegar and brown sugar. Add to flour mixture until well moistened. Roll dough into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into 3 portions. 1 portion is a top bottom crust. Place remaining dough in freezer for later use.
- Roll out 1/2 the dough between wax paper.
- Mix sugar, drained cherries, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Pour into pie plate that has been lined with dough.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover pie, pressing edges together, prick top for steam.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees, bake for 35-45 minutes or until cherry filling is bubbling.
Author: Helen Kinsch, Raleigh, winner of the 2005 North Carolina State Fair Crisco My Favorite Pie Contest