Recipe of the Month: Chicken Jambalaya
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tsps canola oil
- 1 cup andouille sausage, chunked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsps thyme, minced
- 1 tsps oregano, minced
- 1 tsps salt
- 1/2 tsps black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can whole, peeled plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- In a large saucepan, warm canola oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage; sauté until crispy on the edges, about 8 minutes. Stir in onion, celery, green pepper; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add chicken thighs and sauté until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Return heat to medium; stir in cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic. Continue sautéing about 3 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, chicken broth, scallions and rice.
- Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Author: Recipe courtesy of National Chicken Council