Recipe of the Month: Chicken Oscar
- 2 boneless, skinless North Carolina chicken breast halves
- 3 ounces of North Carolina lump crabmeat
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- 10 thin asparagus spears, trimmed and peeled
- 2 cups water to boil asparagus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for boiling water
- 4 cherry tomatoes for garnish
Lemon Chive Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh chives
- In a medium saucepan, bring water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, add asparagus and boil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Lay chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thickness. On medium plate mix flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge chicken to coat, patting off any excess.
- In medium, non-stick fry pan warm 1 teaspoon butter and oil over medium heat. Sauté chicken breasts on both sides until browned and firm-about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken; keep warm until ready to serve. Add onion to skillet and sauté until softened-about 4 minutes. Increase heat to high; add tomato and sauté until most of the moisture has evaporated. Turn heat to low and add crab meat, toss gently until just hot.
- Meanwhile, prepare lemon chive sauce. In small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter with lemon juice to make sauce. Whisk in cream cheese, milk and chives until smooth.
- To serve, set one chicken breast on each plate; arrange 5 asparagus spears on top of each. Spoon some of the crab mixture over asparagus and drizzle with lemon chive sauce.
Recipe courtesy National Chicken Council