Recipe of the Month: Cloverleaf Sweet Potato Rolls
November/December 2006 Recipe of The Month: Cloverleaf Sweet Potato Rolls
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°-115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5-5-1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing on rolls
- Cook sweet potato in boiling water until tender. Cool, peel and mash until you have 1-cup puree.
- In small saucepan, heat milk and butter together until butter is melted. Pour into large mixing bowl and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, stir yeast into warm water; let sit until it bubbles up, about 5 minutes. Add sugar, sweet potato puree, salt, lemon zest and nutmeg to milk in mixing bowl; stir to combine. Stir in yeast mixture. Add 2 cups flour and beat for several minutes until dough becomes elastic. Continue adding flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, until dough comes together in a ball and is firm enough to knead.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Work dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a buttered bowl, turning several times to coat with butter. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch dough down and cut into 24 equal pieces.
- Grease or spray 2 muffin pans. Divide each piece of dough into 3 smaller pieces. Roll to shape into round balls with the palm of your hand against the work surface. Put 3 balls into 1 muffin cup. Continue with remaining 23 pieces. Before baking, brush each roll generously with melted butter. Cover and let rise in warm place until almost double, about 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 375° oven for 20-25 minutes until light brown.
Author: N.C. Sweet Potato Commission