Recipe of the Month: Country-Fried Steak
- 4 beef cubed steaks (about 1 pound)
- 2 egg whites, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Spicy Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Spicy Seasoning Mix
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- To make Spicy Seasoning Mix, combine spices. (May make ahead and store in airtight container. Shake before using.)
- Combine egg whites and milk in shallow dish. Combine breading ingredients in second shallow dish.
- Dip beef steaks into egg white mixture, then into coating mixture, to coat both sides.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once.
- Serve with salsa and yogurt.
Author: National Cattlemen’s Beef Association