Recipe of The Month: Independence day “Poke” Cake
June 2002 Recipe of the Month: Independence day “Poke” Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (3oz) box of wild strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 container (8oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (3 cups)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup fresh, sliced strawberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 9×13 pan with shortening.
- Make cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil, and egg whites. Pour into cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Poke holes in cake with the tongs of a fork. Stir gelatin and boiling water into a small bowl and stir until smooth. Add cold water and stir. Pour over cake.
- Refrigerate 2 hours. Frost with whipped topping, blueberries and strawberries.