Recipe of the Month: Spicy Hot Potato Soup
June 2004 Recipe of the Month: Spicy Hot Potato Soup
- 2 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped poblano chiles
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeno pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 16-oz cans fat free chicken broth
- 5 cups diced, peeled baking potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 ½ cups skim milk
- 5 ounces reduced fat jalapeno cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup onion
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan leaving 1-tablespoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon, set aside.
- Add carrots and next 5 ingredients to drippings. Sauté until golden brown. Stir in broth and add potato and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine flour and milk in a small bowl stirring with a whisk. Add to pan slowly. Cook over medium heat until thick, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add reduced fat and Jalapeno Cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Serve in bowls with green onions and crumbled bacon.
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 10 cups
Author: Cabot Creamery & American Dairy Association