Recipe of the Month: Swiss Potato Kugel
February 2002 Recipe of the Month: Swiss Potato Kugel
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups shredded or diced, cooked potatoes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup half & half cream
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Tomato slices and fresh thyme (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté; onions in butter, until tender. Remove from heat, add potatoes. Toss cheese with flour, salt and pepper. Add to skillet and blend well.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs and cream. Stir into the potato mixture. Spoon into a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares. Garnish with tomato and thyme if desired.
NOTE: Recipe can be prepared the day before, covered, and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake 30-40 minutes.
Author: Virginia Dupree, Willow Springs, NC