Turkey Brunswick Stew with Puff Pastry Crust Recipe
Filled with fresh veggies and herbs, this Brunswick Stew recipe features turkey instead of pork and a fluffy puff pastry crust.
- Peanut oil, as needed
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced small
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced small
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup frozen lima beans
- ½ cup frozen cut okra
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig each fresh thyme, parsley and sage, minced
- kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ pounds roasted dark turkey, skin removed and cut in ¾-inch dice
- 1 ½ quarts turkey stock
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 12 rounds (about 12 ounces) puff pastry dough, thawed and rolled to fit ramekins
- egg wash, as needed
- ½ cup Virginia salted peanuts, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat peanut oil in a stock pot over high heat.
- Sauté onions, carrots, turnips and tomatoes in oil for about 10 minutes until slightly browned. Add garlic, limas and okra; reduce heat to medium. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the stock pot with wine. Add herbs and season with salt and pepper. Add turkey and turkey stock and reduce slightly over low heat.
- In a separate pan, prepare roux with butter and flour, cooking over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add roux to stock pot and blend well. Continue to cook and stir until thickened. Ladle hot stew in individual 6-ounce ramekins. Place puff pastry on top. Cut steam vents. Seal edges and lightly brush pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle peanuts atop puff pastry.
- Place in oven and bake until pastry is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation