Baked Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
Choose your favorite kind of protein, like ground beef or chicken, for this farm-fresh tomato appetizer.
- 6 medium tomatoes, washed
- 2 cups cooked meat (of your choice)
- ½ cup whole kernel corn, cooked
- ½ cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- ¼ cup buttered crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut a thin slice from the stem end of each tomato; remove pulp.
- Mix meat, corn, soft bread crumbs, margarine, and seasonings. Fill tomato shells with mixture. Cover tops with buttered crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Makes 6 servings.
Variation: Add chopped nuts and mushrooms to the meat and corn mixture
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Greenhouse Vegetable Growers Association